Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Catching up

What I received
I've had the bag for two weeks so far and have taken it with me to Budapest and Boston. Here's my initial reaction to the bag and my usage model. I will post pictures in the future of the bag and usage situations using my cameraphone.

I was sent a 22" Tumi T3 expandable wheeled packing case with suiter. In black. I immediately unzipped the suiter insert and tossed it into the closet most likely never to surface again. (If I bring a suit jacket I wear it on the plane.) I slipped my business card into the hidden side slot. (Will anyone ever find that slot if the bag is goes missing?)


My first observations
My first thought is that this seems deeper than the 22" non-expandable T3 that I returned previously. (How do I even know whether I've been sent a 22" suitcase? Is there a 22" suiter?) This bag is to have an improved handle design that won't break. I'm doubtful since i've had so many of then break in the past... The bag is beautiful. I wonder whether I should have tried out a new yellow color.

There's not much to say on packing for the first time. I am relieved at the zipped expandable option however I am concerned whether this has added any appreciable height to the bag making it harder to stow in the overhead... Time will soon tell.

I use the bag with my Tumi Gen 4.4 Expandable flap computer brief. I am a true believer in the Tumi stacking solution and even appreciate the small flap that flips up to keep the brief balanced on the T3.

Budapest
Three legs. Traveled first class to Budapest. The bag was a dream. Only two comments from the entire trip.

  1. On a London to Budapest flight the overheads were very small. My wife has an older model 22" Tumi and it slid in without much difficulty. Mine on the other hand was far more challenging. In the end, after some careful squeezing, it made it into the space.
  2. The handle started squeaking after the third leg of the trip. Not much. But hopefully it won't get worse. There's nothing worse than a bag that squeaks with every step.

Boston

This current trip, I've planned to be gone for two weeks. It's a tight squeeze in the bag but it all fits. Commentary.

  1. The squeak stopped!
  2. The handle started roatating at random intervals while I was pulling it. The ability to switch the handle from right handed to left handed is nice, however when it decided to change on it own, it's frustrating. It is causes because the ring that holds the handle in place is somewhat loose. Given that most people will never switch the position (and those that do will only do it once), i'd make the fitting significantly firmer to prevent this unintended slipping of the collar and unwanted handle spinning.

More later as there is news or observations to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home